Above: The Road to Kharkhorin
Taken while traveling in Mongolia. October 2010.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Here we go again...

So it’s been a little more than two months since my last post. This is mostly due to laziness, although these past few months have been quite eventful.

My last month and a half in Irkutsk was absolutely packed with exams, concerts, translations, old and new friends, parties, emotions, and other events and festivities (including one major unfortunate event resulting in me losing my phone and wallet and not getting a new bank card until four days before leaving). January 9th, the day of my departure, was one of the saddest days of my life. Some fifteen friends saw me off at the train station. I was doing fine, but once I saw a few of them run after the train I was no longer able to hold back the tears. There I was, sitting with 59 other people in a platskart wagon headed to Krasnoyarsk, quietly whimpering in the corner of my compartment. In a way I think it’s good that I left while everything was going so well, I figure that way my memories and impressions of Irkutsk will be that much better.

Walking to school

A friend's birthday party

My farewell party

Гудбай Иркутск!

Our choir's New Years party

I left on the train and did about half the Trans-Siberian Railway (Irkutsk-Moscow), making stops in Krasnoyarsk and Yekaterinburg for two days in each city.

Stolby National Nature Reserve in Krasnoyarsk

Вантовый мост в Красноярске
Suspension bridge in Krasnoyarsk, above the Yenisey River

Chapel on your 10 ruble bill

Somewhere between Krasnoyarsk and Yekaterinburg


Nicholas II and family were executed
on this spot (Yekaterinburg).

Happy Old New Year!

ЦПКиО имени Маяковского - Mayakovsky Park in Yekaterinburg


Center for Contemporary Art Vinzavod

I’ve been in London for two and a half weeks now (too long if you ask me). Since I’m changing institutes in Russia and since it’s the institute that issues students their visas I had to leave the country to get a new one. And since Americans can acquire a visa in either New York or London, I chose to come to London, thinking it would end up being cheaper… Also, going back to the US right now would have been too weird.

London

The Heath


Some bridge...


I fly out tomorrow morning to start my semester in Moscow. It’s strange to say, but I really missed Russia. When I first got here, all of this order, bus schedules (or the fact that there are actually marked bus stops), smooth roads, politeness, English, and general sense of security in the West really made me uncomfortable. I felt like I was in some strange make-believe fairy-tale land where there don’t seem to be any problems or complications… Hopefully it won’t be too hard to get back into the swing of things.

2 comments:

  1. Удачи в Москве, Нельсон!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nelson,
    What wonderful photos and stories! Thank you so much for keeping us up-to-date. I hope your new venue is just as interesting as the last one.
    Mr. Pucci has announced his retirement, so this is his last semester of teaching. I will greatly miss him.
    I'm in Tahoe right now: 7 ft of fresh snow. I hope your new digs are warmer than the last.
    Sending you a hug.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete